Several monuments, two temples, a number of streets and even a whole neighborhood in the city under the hills are associated with this period

 

The liberation of Bulgaria encompasses the events that are related to the restoration of Bulgarian statehood after almost 500 years of Ottoman rule. The Day of the Liberation of Bulgaria from the Ottoman yoke, March 3, has been celebrated since 1888, but there have been periods in time when it was cancelled. After the changes of 1989, the Great National Assembly changed the Labor Code and since 1991 March 3 has been officialized as a national holiday. On this day (February 19, old style) in 1878, a preliminary peace treaty, known in history as the Peace Treaty of San Stefano, was signed to end the Russo-Turkish War of 1877-1878 and marked the Liberation of Bulgaria.


By Dimssi - Собствена творба, CC BY-SA 3.0, Link

The Russian monument almost at the top of the Hill of the Liberators has a central place. This is the first monument in Bulgaria dedicated to the Russo-Turkish War of Liberation. It was erected only 3 years after it - in 1881, with a type project, the work of architect Vokar. It was built in honor of the soldiers who died on the Bulgarian fields and was dedicated to Tsar Alexander I.

After 1888, the tradition of March 3 celebrations taking place in front of the Liberators' Monument was established. In the mid-1930s, at the suggestion of the mayor of Plovdiv, Bozhidar Zdravkov, Bunardzhika was renamed Hill of the Liberators.

In 1882, the monument to Olga Skobeleva, mother of General Skobelev, who headed the Balkan Department of the Russian Red Cross during the Russo-Turkish War, was also erected in Plovdiv. She collected donations for Bulgarians in need. Arriving in Plovdiv, she made a donation of an impressive 20,000 gold rubles to the orphanage in the city.

Bratska mogila can also be considered a monument related to the Liberation, but erected much later. It is a memorial complex in Plovdiv, dedicated to those who fell for the Liberation of Bulgaria from Ottoman rule and during the Balkan War, World War I and World War II. There are also monuments to Captain Burago, as well as to the common one with the Plovdiv liberators on the Pazardzhik road. In the central cemetery park next to the Russian Cemetery, there is a monument to the militiamen from Plovdiv, and later, to the north of the cemetery church, a monument was erected to those whose graves are unknown.

In the first years after Liberation, many temples were built. The St. St. Cyril and Methodius church was built with a project by the architect Josef Schnitter and is a temple-monument of the Liberation. The building is officially named St. St. Cyril and Methodius and St. Alexander Nevsky. It was built with the funds of prominent Plovdiv residents from the area. Construction began in 1882 on May 11 and ended 2 years later. Some of the icons in the temple were painted by the revolutionary and artist Georgi Danchov.

The bell tower of the Assumption Cathedral is considered a monument. It was also built with a project by Schnitter in 1881. "In memory of the liberators" is written on it. The temple itself, strongly associated with the struggle for a Bulgarian national church, was built in the 1940s, during the Ottoman rule.

Some other places in the city are also related to the Liberation of Bulgaria. One of the large boulevards in Trakia is called Osvobozhdenie (Liberation). A small street in Kyuchuk Paris next to the Saturday Market was named March 3, and for a long time today's Ruski (Russian_ boulevard was called Tsar Osvoboditel (Tsar Liberator), but it was renamed Ruski during the socialist period and never regained its name. Other streets are: Kapitan Burago, Kapitan Raicho, Gurko and a number of others in the central part of the city and in the regions.

The most colorful Plovdiv neighborhood also bears the name of General Stolypin - a participant in the Crimean War (1853 – 1856) and Russo-Turkish War (1877 – 1878), as well as the governor of Eastern Rumelia before the entry into force of the Berlin Treaty. It was established in 1889, initially bearing the name Novo Selo (New Village), but was later renamed.