At the moment there are two in operation - the main Muslim temple Dzhumaya Mosque and Shahbedin Imaret Mosque.

 

There were many mosques in Plovdiv, but most were abandoned, and rituals were performed only in some of them. According to the book Plovdiv Chronicle by Nikola Alvadzhiev and information from the traveler Evliya Celebi, who is known to have resided in Filibe in 1651-1652, they were 53. Again, according to data from the book, in 1865 they decreased significantly to 35. Other sources claim that immediately after the Liberation there were many more, but at the moment there are two in operation - the main Muslim temple Dzhumaya Mosque and Shahbedin Imaret Mosque.

The Turkish Muradiye (Dzhumaya) Mosque Cathedral is believed to have been created during the time of Sultan Murad and it was he who financed its construction. According to legend, a magnificent temple of St. Petka once stood on this site.

The mosque measures 40 by 30 meters. The walls are built with two layers of bricks alternating with one layer of cut stone. Bricks are also placed vertically between the stone blocks. It is believed that its builders were local, because a similar type of masonry was practiced in the Balkans even before the period of the Ottoman Empire. On the eastern wall there is a door that was for the sultan and his wives when he came to Filibe, and the northern and western doors were reserved for the people. Only the northern one is open today.

The Shahbedin (Imaret) Mosque is an active Muslim temple in the Marasha district. It was built in 1444/1445 by the Rumelia Beylerbey Shahbedin Pasha on the right bank of the Maritsa River, near today's Pedestrian Bridge. The building is planned in the shape of the letter T, facing south with its horizontal part. The entire length of its northern facade is occupied by an open vestibule with 5 pointed arches. Described by Evliya Celebi as "tall and peerless", the minaret has zigzag brickwork. Inside, the walls were decorated with ornamental frescoes three times: in the 15th, 18th and 19th centuries. In places, the oldest wall plaster has been incised with graffiti drawings - many of them with images of ships.

Some of the larger and more impressive ones, some of which unfortunately are gone today, according to Alvadzhiev, were:

Tash Kupru Mosque - it is located at the intersection of Shesti Septemvri Boulevard and has the status of a cultural monument. It was built in 1860 as a prayer house for the Muslims in the Marasha district and originally had a minaret. In 1928, the building was damaged and the minaret completely destroyed by the Chirpan earthquake.

Said Mehmed Mosque - Nikola Alvadzhiev writes about it that there were many beautiful ornaments on the walls and ceilings. On the platform next to the stairs, large pitchers were arranged, which, due to the specifics of their arrangement and the clay pipe passing through them, sounded like a quiet and gentle song with the slightest impact. They played the role of chamberlain and set the starting tone for the muezzin's song. However, it is known that during the repair of the mosque, they were broken, as it interfered with the work. It was located on today's Perushtitsa street.

Amer Ghaazi Mosque - according to Turkish legend, it was built in 1640 by the military leader Amer Ghaazi in memory of his daughter who died early. What was specific to it was that the minaret was without a spire and top. It was demolished in 1912.

Bey/Beni Mejid Mosque - it was located on today's Alexander Malinov Square. In Roman times, there was a temple of the god Aesculapius at this place, which was later transformed into the Christian church of St. Spas, which the Turks rebuilt into a mosque.

Yeshiolu Mosque - at the intersection of Rayko Daskalov Street and Shesti Septemvri Street. Its minaret was wonderfully beautiful, tall and with elegant lines. Unfortunately, it collapsed during the great earthquake.

Mevlevihane Mosque - at the intersection of Saborna and Knyaz Tseretelev streets, near the former spacious house of Gyumushgerdan. According to legend, it is believed that 2000 years ago the palace of Philip of Macedon was located nearby. This is the only building with Islamic architecture in the Three Hills. According to historians, it is also the only dervish monastery of this type preserved in our country, with a somewhat preserved meditation hall.

Aladzha (the colorful) Mosque - it was one of the most impressive buildings on the current Stefan Stambolov Square. It occupied approximately the space of today's fountain, the large plane trees on Alexander Battenberg Street. It was probably built in the 15th century, after which it was renovated. It wasn’t big, but inside it was extremely interesting - it was all lined with multi-colored tiles, typical of Ottoman architecture (hence its name). Unfortunately, the mosque was demolished in the 1920s. Historian Vasil Peev wrote about its visible remains in the 1940s, and in photographs up to the end of the 1950s we can see its massive foundations. The space was cleared only in the early 1960s.